Each season, C10 members review the rules and modify accordingly. For example, when the Rocky Mountain Cup began, the schedule was balanced with each team hosting the other twice in a season. In that scenario, C10 determined one tie breaker would be away goals scored.
However, the schedule has changed and that tie breaker was removed since one team will host the other twice while the other only once.
For 2013, the rules for the cup are as follows:
- Each team gets 3 points for a victory and 1 point for a draw.
- Only regular season match ups will count (meaning U.S. Open Cup and MLS Playoff matches will not be counted).
- The fans of the team with the most points after the three matches, wins the Rocky Mountain Cup
- If points are tied after the three matches, the fans of the team that scores the most goals wins the Cup
- If both points and goals for are tied, the holder of the Cup shall retain the Cup. The Cup must be won away from the previous season holder